Thursday, June 6, 2024

Styles, Faces, Observations

Friday Face-Off


You may recognize the impressionist style that I specified for the first picture. For most of the other images, I experimented with various styles that I found on StarryAI. Sometimes my prompts were purposely vague. 



If I failed to specify a gender, I usually got a female. Perhaps that is because I used words like peaceful or garden. Or perhaps it is just that the Internet is full of pictures of girls. I got quite a few images of scantily-clad beauties, but I didn’t even download them. They are clichés.

The picture of a man is supposed to be a particular singer-songwriter. I’ll probably try that style again, if I can find it



Since AI draws from a database of existing images, it reflects the commonalities and banalities that exist in human culture. Many of the results are trite. Some look like amateur copies of a famous painting, or greeting cards from the dollar store. I’m always glad when I get something that’s a little bit different and not awful. Computers are not creative, at least not yet. They are imitative.

But so is most art. The more I play with computerized “art” and compare it to human-made art, the more I realize that most artists are also making imitative work. I like going to art shows, but an awful lot of artwork has as much sameness to it as AI images. Real brushstrokes do not guarantee originality.

A few more faces.



And finally, a squirrel. I created it for a post on my other blog.

 

8 comments:

  1. Interesting approach. And a cutie-pie at the end. To faces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first one looks very much like an old portrait painting. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some wonderful face here. I'm with Iris and love that cute squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My reaction to AI art to date is not admiring, and I think you captured perfectly what I find problematic… you wrote: “Since AI draws from a database of existing images, it reflects the commonalities and banalities that exist in human culture. Many of the results are trite. Some look like amateur copies of a famous painting, or greeting cards from the dollar store.”
    So true!
    Another way that someone expressed this sentiment is to say that AI can make a painting that looks like a Picasso — but it couldn’t invent cubism.
    Who knows what AI will do in the future?
    Maybe it will progress, maybe not. Until then, I guess we’ll have dollar-store greeting card art.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first one looks like a Renoir.
    The squirrel--a cutie pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love all of these but the 3rd one is my favorite. Thank you for joining FFO and have a very nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been interesting to see what my FB friends are doing with AI. They are enjoying playing with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. We moderate comments when a post is seven days old or longer.

Demure and Mindful

A current catchphrase on social media is "very demure, very mindful."  It was meant tongue in cheek, but I have made AI pictures t...